Where can I purchase a print copy?
The current issue (and perhaps a few others) are for sale in our online shop.
We also have a growing list of local businesses that carry our magazines. Currently, you can find them at Honey, the Bottle Shop at McMenamins Elks Temple, Central Co-op, and Alchemy Skateboarding. We also sell them every month at the Tacoma Night Market.
Why is shipping so expensive?
Blame those gorgeously oversized 11x14 magazines and 11x17 posters. It turns out shipping in a 13x18 envelope kicks it into a whole different category. At over a pound in weight it just isn’t cheap. If you’d like to avoid shipping costs please revisit the previous question.
Do you take guest contributions?
Yes! We love to have different voices help make Grit City Magazine, but here are two things to know:
- All contributions are subject to editor approval. We’ll ask ourselves not only if something is high quality but if it’s an asset to our site.
- We do not currently have a budget for freelancers. There are some stellar folks out there who’ve volunteered their time and talent to help this project keep going, but we fully understand that not everyone is willing or able to do that.
Do you have an office?
Kinda. We use the coworking space at Alma Mater to write stories, argue, stitch magazines and drink beer. We feel pretty lucky to be there.
Who did your website?
Crews Creative. It’s pretty sweet, right? They also make most of those sexy video ads you see on our homepage and a bunch of other cool stuff.
Do you guys actually make money on this?
Just enough to pay each of us a bit above minimum wage, which allows us to work on the project full time. Each purchase you make (along with tips) helps us keep the lights on! There are also some exceptional businesses in town that help us defer the cost of our print magazine. If you like what we do you have them to thank in part.
Why is Tacoma known as Grit City?
Where do you get your magazines printed/stuff from?
Our goal is to keep it as local as possible. Here’s where we stand currently:
- Magazines and business cards: Print NW
- Stickers: Diecutstickers.com
- Shirts: 253 Custom Tees
- Banking: Tapco Credit Union
- Bookkeeping: Perkins Northwest Accounting