Insider Tips for the Brew Five Three Beer and Music Festival
Brew Five Three knows the magic recipe for the perfect Pacific Northwest afternoon: beer, music, food, and fun. Some of you out there may be seasoned festival veterans and already have your Saturday all planned out, but for those who will be new to the scene this weekend we’ve got your insider info right here.
We recently sat down with a Broadway Center rep to get all the details on how to make your day drinking extravaganza even more enjoyable. So before you head out with your pretzel necklace and wide brim Coachella hat, be sure to keep these tips in mind:
What to bring
- Your ID. Duh. Seriously though, they won’t let you in just because your mustache looks legit and you’ll feel really lame having to turn around at the gate while everyone else has fun. Everyone needs to bring their ID. Even you, grandpa.
- A designated driver. Tickets for DDs are only $10 and come with that priceless element called peace of mind.
- Your dog. Yes, really! Dawg Town doggie day care will have a splash pool to keep your doogle cool and comfortable.
- Be sure to grab a brewer roster on your way in so you know what to go after once you’re inside.
- Low back lawn chairs or blanket. It seems obvious but they’re really easy to forget.
- Cash. Because we’re not 100% living in the future just yet.
- Not your pocket knife. Pretending to be Bear Grylls is great every other day of the year but this day all it’ll get you is a confiscated pocket knife.
- A fanny pack. It’ll get you through security quicker than a backpack and it’s a lot easier than stuffing all your things in your pockets.
- All the obvious, “I’m gonna be outside all day drinking in the sun and I don’t want to die” stuff. You know what I’m talking about.
What to do
- Buy tickets ahead of time, pick them up at will call, and turn that line waiting time into beer drinking time!
- Take your time getting in. Every year people wait in a long ass line to be the first ones in but if you show up at like, 1:45, the line will be way shorter and there will be just as much beer to try.
- Brew Five Three has an Untappd badge. Be sure to check in!
- Make your beer belly heard and vote for your favorite beer! The awards ceremony will be around 7:15 and the winner gets a custom tap handle.
- Check the band schedule ahead of time so you don’t miss the show you want to see.
- Bryson Foster Band 1:30 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Candy Shoppe 3:30 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Booboolala 6:15 p.m. – 7:45 p.m.
Where to park
- The only entrance is on the north end by the Pantages Theater (901 Broadway) so don’t park on 11th expecting to walk right in.
- Avoid the potential headache of parking at the event and just ride the link from the Tacoma Dome straight into the Theater District.
- If you just really like parallel parking, most of the parking around Broadway Center has a “pay for two hours on Saturday, get the entire day free” deal.
More good bits to know
- Full admission tickets include six tasting tokens for 4 oz pours and a tasting glass
- Proceeds go to Broadway Center’s education programs, which means you get to drink beer and do good simultaneously.
- There will be 35+ beers and ciders to choose from, made by
- 2 Towns Ciderhouse
- 7 Seas Brewing Co.
- Bent Bine Brew Co.
- Cash Brewing Company Inc
- Dick’s Brewery
- D’s Wicked CIder
- E2W Brewing
- Fox Island Brewing
- Fremont Brewing
- Ghostfish Brewing
- Gig Harbor Brewing Co.
- Harmon Brewing CO
- Jellyfish Brewing Company
- Kulshan Brewing
- Lagunitas Brewing Company
- Louis Raison
- Maritime Pacific Brewing Co.
- Narrows Brewing Co
- Northish Beer Co.
- Odd Otter Brewing Company
- Ole Swede Cider
- Pacific Brewing and Malting Co.
- Pear UP
- Portland Cider Company
- Powerhouse Brewing
- Ram Restaurant & Brewery
- Schilling Cider
- Steelhead Cider
- Sumerian Brewing Co.
- Tacoma Brewing
- Task Force Brewing
- Three Magnets Brewing
- Two Beers & Seattle Cider
- Wet Coast Brewing Co.
- Wingman Brewers
- If your designated driver falls through, event sponsors The Law Offices of Smith and White will cover the cost of a taxi cab or ride-share for the first 20 people who submit their receipts! Details here.
Grit City Magazine will be at Brew Five Three celebrating our Hard Copy IPA collaboration with Narrows Brewing. Come by and say hello. Cheers, Tacoma!
Photos by Amelia Vaughn and Benjamin Toombs